Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Indian Larry Post

I met Indian Larry while in NYC in about 1996. I was walking out of 6th Street Specials with the back wheel for my Triumph chopper project and he was walking in to pick up some Harley piston rings. He told me he was a bike mechanic at Hamel's in San Diego years ago.

It really was a defining moment for me, after that I knew that the only way I would ever be happy is building custom stuff for a living. We talked for a good 20 minutes. This was before he was famous, and he was very surprised that I even knew who he was, never mind admired his work. Indian Larry was everything that people said he was, he never lost this lack of judgment with strangers and never acted like he was more important than anyone else. That is what made him truly great.

I am lucky to have met him.

A few years later, after he passed I decided to get a tattoo in his memory. I decided to use some art that Paul Cox drew. As a courtesy to him I decided to ask permission to use his artwork to make the stencil for the tattoo. He agreed and appreciated me asking and  my condolences. I sent him this picture too.




The tattoo was done by Dan Gilsdorf at Atlas Tattoo, here in Portland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment