Monday, March 26, 2012

Winter Bike

It's a 1971 Schwinn Racer. Originally it had 26 x 1 3/8 wheels, so I got some Sun 700c rims and laced a Bendix Red Band in the back. The front hub is Quando. I had some mustache style bars but they did not agree with my back so I cut down some risers off a department store MTB. 28c Continental ultras just barely fit under the original heavy steel fenders. Add the solid steel fork, front rack, and kickstand and this bike is heavy as fuck. I did save a little weight with the aluminum Schwinn stem that probably came from a Continental.

The bars are level with the seat, and it has a comfortable upright riding position. I like to refer to this as a "Sensible Bike" with its rack, fenders, chain guard, front brake, and skinny but not too skinny tires.

I added a Mafac Racer brake because I carry heavy stuff, and because it says "RACER" on it. It has Kool Stop brake pads. Lately I have become a big fan of being able to stop easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment