Tuesday, August 25, 2009

1964 Triumph Trophy SC Kustom

So this is where I'm at now, I'm pretty happy with it's stance and proportions.



Both exhausts will come up over the primary drive, scrambler style, and then dip down and meet up with that bracket with the speed holes. They will be equal length and slash cut, or maybe some turnouts.

My Mids Finished

So here they are, a little higher and further forward than stock. Made the shift linkage and the engine plate too.



And here's the brake side. The kickstand has an internal detent.



It should be better for my back to be able to "post" over bumps.

From forwards to mids

One of the first thing I built for this bike was this highway peg style forward control setup, along with the suicide clutch - on the left side and a stock brake pedal with a moped piston for you to mash down on. They were good leg extension-wise but I can't really take my weight off the seat if there's some railroad tracks or a bump in the road.



Basically I just cut the old pedal setups free and fucked them around a little. The I fabricated some mid hangers from flat stock and tubing cut from a handlebar. It uses the same bolts as the hardtail, which was bolted together and then welded on. Here's the right side:



...and the left.



My friend Dan welded it up for me, in trade for some vintage Schwinn cruiser shit.

San Lun Chee

My first customer bike 5 years ago. Trike from Beijing, China. I found this out by finding an identical one in a book calling "Chasing Rickshaws". It came to me in need of brakes, which contsist of a cable woven around the headtube gusset going down to a brake that actuated like an oil filter tool. You either tugged up or tugged down on it to stop, using your hand or foot. The gear were operated by placing the chain on the desired sprocket by hand, which meant stopping and moving it to 1 of the 3 rear freewheels, or 1 of the 2 front chainwheels, which could be done on the fly, sometimes.



The idea behind the modifications I was making was to make it appear is if it were done in the Third World, with no welding, from whatever parts were on hand. So the first thing I had to deal with was a completely non-standard bottom-bracket size, smaller than Amercian (OPC) , but larger than threaded. The only other place I've run into it is on very cheap 16" kid's bikes. I got a bottom bracket shell from Sacha White, and found out there was still about 1/16" to take up on the radius. I got a piece of muffler tubing and sanded it to fit. Then it was tapped together with a hammer everything a fairly tight sliding fit. I drilled through all three tubes, tapped two holes m8 x 1.25 and put a short bolt through them.



Then I added a "modern" drivetrain form an inexpensive mountain bike. I had to modify the rear cluster, taking out "2nd" gear and having a spacer there, so that "1st" could be used to drive one of the rear axle freewheels. The wheelbase is adjustable, but the plate that holds the hub (now an intermediate shaft, if you will) is slotted so it can be moved fore and aft. The front and rear derailleur mount conventionally, and the bb is now threaded so better parts can be bolted up.



The band brake is now operated by a footbrake, and this one is similar to how it would be done in China. The lever itself was cut out with a jigsaw while bolted down to my bench, and then shaped with a big ol' bastard file. The foot pad it just a bolt with rubber hose over it. The rest of the hardware is just from Ace Hardware. The brake pad itself was replaced with a chunk of bald motorscooter tire, and now it will lock up one wheel, as one wheel spins on its own hub, enable the trike to turn without needing a differential.



This is the easiest way to work on one, just tip it up.

I also added a front brake, and regreased what I could. It works much better with these modern conveniences and safety features but it loses a little but of it's soul and simplicity. I guess that's the trade-off when a life is on the line other than your own.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

My 2 Favorite Bikes




My KHS Aerotrack and my 64 Triumph Trophy, still under construction. I've done tons of fabrication on it: jockey shift and linkage, suicide clutch, foot controls (originally forward, now mids, much better), passenger pegs, wheel spacers, brake linkage, fender support/butt stop, kickstand, engine plates, headlight bracket, exhaust bracket, remote oil filter/taillight/license plate mount and backing plate, a ton of threaded bosses, and assorted bracketry.Fabrication-wise, all that's left is the exhaust.

It's a 1964 Sportsman's Competition engine, one of 57 they made that year. There is a big nasty hole in it from throwing the chain but it is repairable and is in an area that doesn't hold oil. It needs a rebuild including new pistons and conrods. The front triangle is a Bonneville, and that's a 6" stretch Santee Industries hardtail, The front end is from a Moto-Guzzi 850T with an axle that I turned down to accept the Harley 21" front wheel. A dual disc setup is planned, can't wait to see if Harley rotors are gonna work with Brembo calipers. The rear wheel has a conical hub laced to a Harley wheel, and an interesting story (some other time). The tank is an old Paughco "Axed Harley". I got most of this stuff about 8 years ago, and you would shit your pants if you knew what I paid!

Every year I say next year it will be finished. The reason It's such a back-burner project is because people in Oregon drive so slow and inattentively, and you can't lane split legally like you can in California. It's actually much more enjoyable to ride a bicycle. I am also much healthier now cycling, and I worry that I might fall back into old ways and get flabby again, like when I moved to CA, got a Vespa, and then stopped riding BMX.